ENEN PhD Events
ENEN PhD Event & Prize – Information
Every year the ENEN PhD Event & Prize is organized to promote and support the work of young researchers in Europe.
The ENEN PhD Event & Prize is an action of the European Nuclear Education Network to support the Research and Science in the Nuclear fields promoting the works of the young scientists and researchers who start their careers finishing their PhD. It takes place on a yearly basis in the framework of the international congress in the field of nuclear science.
The ENEN PhD Events are co-sponsored by the European Nuclear Education Network Association (ENEN), the European Commission Joint Research Centre (JRC), and the organizer of the international conference.
The ENEN PhD Event will consist of about 12 PhD presentations nominated by ENEN Members and selected by the ENEN PhD Prize Jury. The event will be divided into several sessions according to the subjects. The participants will make a presentation of their research work for 25 minutes followed by 5 minutes of questions and discussion in a competitive but friendly environment.
All presentations will be judged by the Jury members taking into account the quality of the submitted paper as well as the quality of the presentation itself. Moreover, the participation in the discussion and the clarity in answering the questions received will also be taken into account in selecting the winners.
The best presentations will be awarded the ENEN Prize. Please see the “Criteria and Procedure for the ENEN Prize” in Annex I.
All nuclear topics and fields are welcome: Nuclear Engineering and Safety, Medical Applications, Radiation Protection, Waste Management and Disposal, Radiochemistry, Nuclear Materials, or any other nuclear-related topic.
Qualification for application
Applicants should be either:
– PhD students studying or working at one Institute listed among ENEN Members in any nuclear field, or
– must have completed their PhD studies at one Institute listed among ENEN Member after the application deadline of the previous ENEN PhD Event, i.e. February 21st, 2022.
The criteria for the selection of the participants are:
– Quality of their research work,
– Proof of achievements congruent with a 3rd year PhD candidate career
– No balance among the participating countries is taken into account.
All abstracts, papers and presentations provided for the Event will be shared among the ENEN Members after the Event. Participants agree with this rule by submitting their material. All participants are requested to attend the event and the award ceremony of the ENEN Prize.
ANNOUNCEMENT-ENEN PhD Event & Prize 2023
Deadline for submitting your application:
13 February 2023 EXTENDED 15 March 2023
For the ENEN PhD prizes ENEN Association will grant a 1000€ the winners to cover the expenses to participate to an international conference and present the result of their research work (upon receipt of justification documents such: as conference fee, travel, accommodation and meals).
Selected applicants will receive financial support for their travel expenses.
The ENEN PhD Prize is awarded to the best presentations.
WORD – Annex I – ENEN PhD Event Prize Application form
WORD – Annex II – ENEN PhD Event&Prize, Evaluation Criteria
HOW TO APPLY
1) Fill in the Application form (See Annex I & II) detailing all the required information:
Contact details of the student, Contact details of the nominating ENEN Member representative, Status of the PhD research, Recommendation by an ENEN Member representative, Scientific CV and publication list, One-page abstract of the research work to be presented
2) send it by e-mail to:
ENEN at email@example.com and to Ms Roberta Cirillo at firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Respect the Deadline of the Application:
13 February 2023 EXTENDED 15 March 2023
NOTE: All selected participants will be requested to comply with the schedule which will be provided in due time, below.
The Award Ceremony of the ENEN Prizes will be held during the ENYGF 2023 – European Nuclear Young Generation Forum 2023, organised by ENS (European Nuclear Society) and (PTN) Polish Nuclear Society, which will be held on 8-12 May 2023 in Krakow, Poland.
This year the Jury of the ENEN PhD Prize is composed by a team of experts
(list not exhaustive – it will be expanded after ENEN General Assembly 2023)
- Francisco Javier Elorza (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, UPM, Spain) CHAIR
- Heikki Suikkanen (Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology, LUT, Finland)
- Michèle Coeck (Belgian Nuclear Research Centre, SCK CEN, Belgium)
- Andreas Pautz (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, EPFL, Switzerland)
- Iztok Tiselj (Jožef Stefan Institute, JSI, Slovenia)
- Piero Ravetto (Consorzio Interuniversitario per la Ricerca Tecnologica Nucleare, CIRTEN, Italy)
- Danny Lathouwers (Delft University of Technology, DUT, The Netherlands)
- Csilla Pesznyak (Budapest University of Technology and Economics, BME, Hungary)
The Objectives of the PhD Event & Prize are:
- to provide a forum for PhD students to present research work to their fellows and colleagues in a friendly but competitive spirit
- to promote the research work of PhD students in the nuclear field
- to set up a bridge between PhD students and professionals in the nuclear field
The 2023 CALL for this event is available for download HERE
13 February 2023 EXTENDED 15 March 2023 Deadline for the application
20 February – 3 March 2023 Jury meeting for selection
6 March 2023 Inform selected students of the final program (by email)
By 17 March 2023 Selected students are requested to confirm their participation in the event and the award ceremony (by email) The draft program of the event is submitted to the Conference Organiser
NOTE: no confirmation before the end of 18 March 2023 will be considered as default.
Before 7 April 2023 Registration of all participants to the conference website (necessary instructions will be provided in due time)
1 May 2023 Deadline for the submission of presentation by the participants – send by email to ENEN secretariat: email@example.com and in CC to Roberta Cirillo firstname.lastname@example.org
10 May 2023 17th ENEN PhD Event & Prize award ceremony
13 April 2023 – UPDATE:
the selection process of finalists is about to be finalised. All applicants will shortly receive a communication and further instructions on how to move forward with travel arrangements and logistics for the competition.
A group picture will be taken during the event
All participants are requested to bring a powerpoint presentation by a memory stick to the Event. (as backup)