ENEN PhD Events
ENEN PhD Event & Prize – Information
Every year the ENEN PhD Event & Prize is organized to promote and support the work of young researchers in Europe.
The ENEN PhD Event & Prize is an action of the European Nuclear Education Network to support the Research and Science in the Nuclear fields promoting the works of the young scientists and researchers who start their career finishing their PhD. It takes place on a yearly basis in the framework of the international congress in the field of nuclear science.
The ENEN PhD Event will consist of up to 12 PhD presentations nominated by ENEN Members and selected by the ENEN PhD Prize Jury. The event will be divided into several sessions according to the subjects. The participants will make a presentation of their research work for 25 minutes followed by 5 minutes of questions and discussion in a competitive but friendly environment.
All presentations will be judged by the Jury members taking into account the quality of the submitted paper as well as the quality of the presentation itself. Moreover, the participation in the discussion and the clarity in answering the questions received will also be taken into account in selecting the winners.
The three best presentations will be awarded the ENEN Prize. Please see the “Criteria and Procedure for the ENEN Prize” in Annex I.
Qualification for application
Applicants should be either:
– PhD students studying or working at one Institute listed among ENEN Members in any nuclear field, or
– must have completed their PhD studies at one Institute listed among ENEN Member after the application deadline of the previous ENEN PhD Event, i.e. September 22nd, 2020.
The criteria for the selection of the participants are:
– Quality of their research work,
– Proof of achievements congruent with a 3rd year PhD candidate career
– No balance among the participating countries is taken into account.
All abstracts, papers and presentations provided for the Event will be shared among the ENEN Members after the Event. Participants agree with this rule by submitting their material. All participants are requested to attend the event and the award ceremony of the ENEN Prize.
ANNOUNCEMENT-ENEN PhD Event & Prize 2021
Deadline for submitting your application:
31 MAY 2021 EXTENDED 21 June 2021
For the 3 ENEN PhD prizes ENEN Association will grant 1000€ to the winners to cover the expenses to attend to an international conference and present the result of his/her research work (upon receipt of justification documents such as conference fee, travel, accommodation and meals).
Selected applicants will receive financial support for their travel expenses.
The ENEN PhD Prize is awarded to the best (3) three presentations.
PDF – Annex I – ENEN PhD Event Prize Application form
WORD – Annex I – ENEN PhD Event Prize Application form
PDF – Annex II – ENEN PhD Event&Prize Evaluation Criteria
WORD – Annex II – ENEN PhD Event&Prize, Evaluation Criteria
HOW TO APPLY
1) Fill in the Application form (See Annex II) detailing all the required information:
Contact details of the student, Contact details of the nominating ENEN Member representative, Status of the PhD research, Recommendation by an ENEN Member representative, Scientific CV and publication list, Two-page abstract of the research work to be presented
2) send it by e-mail to:
3) Respect the Deadline of the Application:
May 31st, 2021 EXTENDED 21 June 2021
NOTE: All selected participants will be requested to comply with the schedule below.
IMPORTANT TRAVELLING INFO
You can find information on and how to get to Slovenia and stay at the hotel, here: https://www.sava-hotels-resorts.com/en/let-s-be-together-safely
Extracts (not exhaustive, please check the above-mentioned link)
Accommodation facilities are available only for guests who can present one of the following at check-in:
- Proof of a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result from a PCR test or a rapid antigen test no older than 48 hours, according to the date of the swab taken;
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination, showing that it has been:
− at least seven days from the second dose of the Comirnaty vaccine produced by Biontech/Pfizer, at least 14 days from the second dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine produced by Moderna, at least 14 days from the second dose of the Sputnik V vaccine produced by Russia’s Gamaleya National Centre of Epidemiology and Microbiology, at least 14 days from the second dose of the CoronaVac vaccine produced by Sinovac Biotech, or at least 14 days from the second dose of the COVID-19 Vaccine by Sinopharm,
− at least 21 days from the first dose of the Vaxzevria (COVID-19 Vaccine) vaccine produced by AstraZeneca, or the Covishield vaccine produced by the Serum Institute of India/AstraZeneca,
− at least 14 days from the COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen produced by Johnson & Johnson/Janssen-Cilag;
- Proof of a positive PCR test result older than 10 days, unless decided otherwise by a physician, but no older than six months, or
- Medical certificate of recovery from COVID-19, if no more than six months have elapsed since the beginning of symptoms.
These conditions do not apply for children under 15 years of age sharing accommodation with immediate family members or guardians.
The proof of testing will be considered valid if it was issued in an EU Member State, Schengen Area country, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or the United States of America.
For entering Slovenia: https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/SVN/7011
You are invited to keep checking the Slovenian authorities website to get the latest updates: https://www.gov.si/en/topics/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/border-crossing/
The Award Ceremony of the ENEN Prizes will be held during the International Conference Nuclear Energy for New Europe – NENE 2021, Bled, Slovenia, on September 8th, 2021.
Date: Presentations will take place on Tuesday, September 7th, 2021. The award ceremony of the ENEN prize will be held on Wednesday, September 8th, 2021.
All participants are requested to attend the event and the award ceremony of the ENEN Prize. Attendance in presence will highly depend of the evolution of the COVID 19 pandemic.
Venue: International Conference Nuclear Energy for New Europe – NENE 2021 will take place in Bled, Slovenia and will be hosted by the Nuclear Society of Slovenia and Jožef Stefan Institute, Reactor Engineering Division.
31 May 2021 21 June 2021 Deadline for the application (See 5)
22 – 28 June 2021 Jury meeting for selection
9 July 2021 Jury decision: inform the students about the final selection
16 August 2021 Inform the selected students of the final program (by e-mail) – Depending of the COVID 19 situation
By 20 August 2021 Selected students are requested to confirm their participation in the event and at the awards ceremony (by e-mail).
31 August 2021 Deadline for the submission of full-length paper (up to 8 pages, the template will be distributed to the selected students) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
3 September 2021 Deadline of the submission of presentations by the participants – send by email to email@example.com
7 September 2021 15th ENEN PhD Event
All participants are requested to bring a PowerPoint presentation by a memory stick to the Event.
A group picture will be taken during the Event.
8 September 2021 Award ceremony of the ENEN Prize.
This year the Jury of the ENEN PhD Prize is composed by the following experts:
- Francisco Javier Elorza (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, UPM, Spain) CHAIR
- Heikki Suikkanen (Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology, LUT, Finland)
- Michèle Coeck (Belgian Nuclear Research Centre, SCK CEN, Belgium)
- Andreas Pautz (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, EPFL, Switzerland)
- Iztok Tiselj (Jožef Stefan Institute, JSI, Slovenia)
- Piero Ravetto (Consorzio Interuniversitario per la Ricerca Tecnologica Nucleare, CIRTEN, Italy)
- Danny Lathouwers (Delft University of Technology, DUT, The Netherlands)
- Csilla Pesznyak (Budapest University of Technology and Economics, BME, Hungary)
The Objectives of the PhD Event & Prize are:
- to provide a forum for PhD students to present research work to their fellows and colleagues in a friendly but competitive spirit
- to promote the research work of PhD students in the nuclear filed
- to set up a bridge between PhD students and professionals in the nuclear field
The ENEN PhD Events are co-sponsored by the European Nuclear Education Network Association (ENEN), the European Commission Joint Research Centre (JRC), and the organizer of the international conference.